Monday, May 12, 2014

Welcome

Hi there,
Welcome to History Magpie, a collection of all sorts of wonderful, shiny, history resources for students and educators.

How this came to be...

I am a homeschooling mama.  About a year ago I was trying to put together some history lessons for my daughter.  I wanted some resources beyond the history book.  Things like historical fiction, movies, primary resources, sound clips, documentaries, virtual field trips.  I thought surely there is someplace out there on the world wide web that has collected a variety of materials, in a variety of learning levels and organized them by date.  Alas I could not find such a place.  So I decided to make such a place here.  

My hope for the future...

I will be posting reviews of all the resources, with all pertinent technical information such as reading level or movie rating as well as a synopsis and possible objectionable content.    Then all the resource posts will be linked on a big timeline page.  My hope is that someone can search for a time they need, like the middle ages, or the 1500s, or even a specific place in time like the Battle of Hastings on the timeline to find resources pertaining to that time (and place) that they can explore easily

But what about the ads...

I have no illusions, this is a big project.  As it gets larger I hope it will be a big help to many different people and frankly it would be nice to be compensated for my time.  To that end I am monetizing this blog from the beginning.  There will be a tip jar as well as some ads.  I do not want this blog to become one gigantic ad with some little content.

My desire for this space is that it will become a watering hole for all those educators (and students) to help fill in the big history picture, with quick access to lots of resources.

~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment